You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k video will not render on timeline

early 2011 MBP

MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

FCPX 10.4.6

Hello,

I have used fcp often to edit 1080p video. The rendered clips (Prores 422 LT) run flawlessly on my older computer. I would now like to edit some 4k video. I've created a 4k project file, but when I import 4k video to the timeline, no white dots appear above the video to indicate the clip is being rendered. If I make any change to the clip (color correction, frame size, transform, opacity.... anything) the white dots appear and the clip gets rendered to Prores 422 LT. If I import 1080p clips to the same timeline, the white dots appear and the clip gets rendered.

Any idea what may be causing this? How can I troubleshoot this and find a solution?

Shawn's 13" MacBook Pro

Posted on May 2, 2022 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 1:51 PM

Sounds quite correct. 4K in a 4K project doesn’t need to be rendered. HD in a 4K project will show the dots because the image has to be scaled. Don’t render unless you need to render for good playback.

4 replies

May 2, 2022 2:07 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. I think I've been confused about render files. I did a bit more research after reading your reply, and you are correct. I was under the impression a render file would be created to any file that could not be played back smoothly (ie: 4k on a 2011 mbp). Turns out, render files are only created once any change is made to the clip.

I guess I need to look into using proxy files or optimized media, which I've never used before. I just loved how seamless the rendering process is. No proxy files, done automatically in the background, etc... I wish there was a way to force rendering of a 4k clip on a 4k timeline.

4k video will not render on timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.