You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gmail via apple mail

Why is the search function almost useless when accessing gmail via Apple Mail? To find a mail I mostly have to resort to gmail via browser which is not a happy experience.

I have just lit up my new Mac Studio (Monterey), and its much worse than the OS High Sierra on my 11 year old iMac.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 2, 2022 7:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 11:10 AM

gmailhater wrote:

Why is the search function almost useless when accessing gmail via Apple Mail? To find a mail I mostly have to resort to gmail via browser which is not a happy experience.

I have just lit up my new Mac Studio (Monterey), and its much worse than the OS High Sierra on my 11 year old iMac.

Dear gmailhater—

I have seen many issue posted here like yours and gmail not playing nice...

You can always have your gmail forwarded to another email address for convenience— if you have an Apple ID you have @icloud address already assigned to you by default if no other alternative.

To forward log into gmail through a browser and see you settings to make this change—you will never have to use the browser again.

You side step the whole issue.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Set up iCloud for Mail on all your devices - Apple Support

Add an email account to Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

I have over 14 email address all forwarded to my dominate account including domain names, private, gmail and etc without issue searching. One inbox...very searchable in Mail.app

There are all usable from the drop down— if you include them in your Preferences...

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2022 11:10 AM in response to gmailhater

gmailhater wrote:

Dear gmailhater—

I have seen many issue posted here like yours and gmail not playing nice...

You can always have your gmail forwarded to another email address for convenience— if you have an Apple ID you have @icloud address already assigned to you by default if no other alternative.

To forward log into gmail through a browser and see you settings to make this change—you will never have to use the browser again.

You side step the whole issue.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Set up iCloud for Mail on all your devices - Apple Support

Add an email account to Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

I have over 14 email address all forwarded to my dominate account including domain names, private, gmail and etc without issue searching. One inbox...very searchable in Mail.app

There are all usable from the drop down— if you include them in your Preferences...

gmail via apple mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.