You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone keeps on changing names

I have a iPhone 8 and maybe a week a go I noticed that it was named iPhone (8) I ignored it but yesterday it changed to iPhone (9) and today it’s iPhone (10) and when ever I change it to something else after a couple hours it changes back. It’s not a big deal my phone performance is still the same it’s just kind of annoying

iPhone 8

Posted on May 3, 2022 4:35 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2022 6:39 AM in response to pearce80

Howdy pearce80,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Let's confirm that you're updated with the latest iOS version to make sure that's not related to what is occurring. If you see that an update is available, be sure to complete a backup of your information prior to installing it. For additional assistance with this, check out the following resource: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you're updated with the latest iOS version, let's check to see if you may have a configuration profile installed on your iPhone. If your iPhone was set-up, or provided to you, from an educational institution or workplace then a profile may have been installed at that time, which could contribute to the changing occur. Check out the steps below for assistance with checking this, and more information can be found here: Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple Support

You can see the profiles you have installed in Settings  > General > Profiles & Device Management.

We'd recommend checking with your IT administrator before making any changes if you do see a profile installed. Lastly, confirm you're using the same steps to adjust the name of your iPhone with the information here: Change the name of your iPhone - Apple Support

If you're still seeing this occur without any profiles installed, Contact Apple Support directly to check into this in more detail with you.

Take care!

My phone keeps on changing names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.