You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 18.2 ram upgrade

hello

I want to increase the ram of my computer to 32gb. I'm afraid it won't fit. Which brand of ram should I buy? help please

computer specifications

imac retina 4k

2017 21,5inc

3.4 ghz

8gb ram

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 4, 2022 9:56 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2022 1:20 PM in response to staff7

+1 on rkaufmann87's very important question.

About 95% of slow 21.5-iMac reports here have nothing to do with RAM but everything to do with the slow, under-spec laptop drives Apple opted to install between 2012 and 2019. THey are 2.5-inch 5400rpm, SATA 3GB drives on a fast 6GB SATA drive bus. A simple three-question test will help:

1. Is the computer slow to boot?
  2. Are apps very slow to launch?
  3. Once launched, do the apps seen to run fine?

Three "YES" answers say you have the same slow factory drive as thousands of other posters here. This issue tend to get worse as you install progressively newer macOS versionw ith more capabilities but a bigger load on resources.

The Mac OS is super-efficient with RAM management; it can sdo wonders with only 8GB RAM for most consumer tasks. If you have a slow factory mech drive, your can throw all the RAM in Crucial at the problem and not improve it.

imac 18.2 ram upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.