You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of MacBook Air

User claimed she changed her Apple ID, then about a day later was locked out MacBook Air, but denies she changed the password for the computer itself.

Luckily was able to reset via Apple ID password reset option, however this requires internet access.

I also have a secondary Admin account on here computer just as a backup as I do on all pc's at work, however, the lock-in screen also blocked out other user accounts from displaying,

Is there another way to access other admin accounts from locked out computer in this case, or is apple added security layers preventing prior best practices from being able to use?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 5, 2022 7:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 7:46 AM

Oh boy, user engaged FireVault!! Totally messed me up.

Apple support kept telling me wrong info, they said log in behavior (fire vault process) was a default new security layer in Monterey. Spent almost 7 hours on this.

12 replies

May 6, 2022 7:35 AM in response to lllaass

Ok, that was a typo, What I meant was the main Log-In Screen at startup. On my other computer using Catalina and unless I am mistaken, all prior version of the mac os X would show all accounts at the startup Log-In Screen.

I was told by Apple Support a additional layer of security has been added to Big Sur or Monterey that prevents other accounts from being viewed at login. My situation is not so simple, I am well aware there is a control in the Users control panel that let the user select the option for showing other accounts, but that option I engaged several months ago.

It did not matter, the other accounts still will not show until either a "main" user, or account with Apple ID is active.

May 6, 2022 7:41 AM in response to broken-69

" User claimed she changed her Apple ID, then about a day later was locked out MacBook Air, but denies she changed the password for the computer itself ."

Changing the Apple ID Password is a Totally different matter from Change the Computer Password

The Computer Password is independent from Apple ID.

Can you verify with the User which was actually changed ?

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password of the Computer

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

May 6, 2022 10:17 AM in response to PRP_53

I will try your procedure tonight on her Monterey Macbook Air, the answer to your ques: she claims Only the Apple ID password was changed.

I was able to reset using the built in feature utilizing the Apple ID, but this was jarring because as I said above, I could not see my "admin" account at the pre boot login now part of Monterey

Another words Monterey has an additional security layer, before the computer boots using the white progress bar with white apple logo, immediately after turning on, you get presented with a "main" user account name and you have to login in, then and only then after the standard boot do you see full list of users, so far I have spent 5 hours working on this. Normally something that would take 5 min when something screwy happens to a user password.

Locked out of MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.