You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restrict an app from accessing internet?

I have recently switched from Android to iOS. And I’m unable to find a way to restrict a particular application on the iPhone from accessing the internet through Wi-Fi. This has been possible on android since several years. I don’t understand why can’t we do it on iPhone, if it boasts itself to be a privacy centric platform.

is there a way to do this or an application to put firewall type feature in the phone?

I believe there’s a way to restrict app internet access over cellular mode. Is there a way for Wi-Fi restriction as well?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on May 8, 2022 11:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 8:33 AM

Hi,

I don’t understand the solution here to contact hundreds of different developers for two hundred different apps that I use to tell them to add a functionality to block internet connection on their app individually! Please think before providing such a solution.

I’d draw your attention to a feature in Android where a user can specifically block both Wi-Fi access and cellular internet access on a per app basis from that app’s settings.

I’d like to have similar control over my apps and my privacy in this privacy centric iOS. This is a very basic method to ensure that apps and their developers (whom I do not know like a friend or business partner) do not use my data or show me ads without my consent.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Neil22R

Hi,

I don’t understand the solution here to contact hundreds of different developers for two hundred different apps that I use to tell them to add a functionality to block internet connection on their app individually! Please think before providing such a solution.

I’d draw your attention to a feature in Android where a user can specifically block both Wi-Fi access and cellular internet access on a per app basis from that app’s settings.

I’d like to have similar control over my apps and my privacy in this privacy centric iOS. This is a very basic method to ensure that apps and their developers (whom I do not know like a friend or business partner) do not use my data or show me ads without my consent.

May 10, 2022 8:57 AM in response to meet_v

Apple doesn't include a way for you to prevent an app from accessing the internet over WiFi. Apple has made many decisions regarding features and UI that are different from what Alphabet has chosen to do with Android. While this may be the first significant thing you've noted, there will be others.

Apple doesn't read here for suggestions or feedback. You can, however, let them know your thoughts about this (and any issues you may come across in the future) here:

Product Feedback - Apple

How to restrict an app from accessing internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.