You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocked emails in inbox on iPhone

I’ve blocked email addresses that are spamming me. And I’ve set my preferences to have these emails go directly to Trash. They still come into my inbox, marked with the red symbol indicating they are from blocked addresses. I’ve tried everything I can think of, including changing the setting to have them go to my Inbox, restarting my phone, changing it back, restarting again, etc. I’m using IOS 15.4.1 on an iPhone X. Any ideas for other things I can try would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone X

Posted on May 9, 2022 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 9:43 AM

Hi there Be-Curious,

Thanks for your post to Apple Support Communities. We understand concern with blocked email still coming through. It sounds like you went through the following steps already to make sure the settings showed blocked emails should be getting moved to trash:

• Go to Settings > Mail > Threading > Blocked Sender Options. Choose Move to Trash: Sends the blocked email to the Trash folder. You can empty the trash manually, or choose to have the trash empty automatically in your account settings.

If so, next try force closing the Mail app completely, restarting your iPhone, then check for blocked messages again:

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are still getting blocked email in your Inbox, we'd recommend getting in touch with our support teams directly. This is not expected behavior and if the settings are showing correct, we want to determine what's going on. You can reach them here:

Apple Support

You can also find our phone number for your region at this link:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Be-Curious

Hi there Be-Curious,

Thanks for your post to Apple Support Communities. We understand concern with blocked email still coming through. It sounds like you went through the following steps already to make sure the settings showed blocked emails should be getting moved to trash:

• Go to Settings > Mail > Threading > Blocked Sender Options. Choose Move to Trash: Sends the blocked email to the Trash folder. You can empty the trash manually, or choose to have the trash empty automatically in your account settings.

If so, next try force closing the Mail app completely, restarting your iPhone, then check for blocked messages again:

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are still getting blocked email in your Inbox, we'd recommend getting in touch with our support teams directly. This is not expected behavior and if the settings are showing correct, we want to determine what's going on. You can reach them here:

Apple Support

You can also find our phone number for your region at this link:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best regards.

May 24, 2022 4:25 PM in response to Soosie_J215

Hi again Soosie_J215,

I finally was able to spend the time (quite a bit of time) on the phone with Apple Support to try to get this fixed. What they told me doesn't make sense to me from a design perspective. They weren't able to provide any reference material on how the Mail app actually works in IOS. The explanation I received, from two different support team members, is that because I'm using a third-party domain (mydomain.com), there is no communication back from the Mail app to the server to support actually moving things to the Trash. All my phone and other IOS devices are capable of is marking the mail as coming from a blocked contact and leaving it in the Inbox. To actually block the senders, it is necessary to use the webmail interface where mydomain.com is hosted. In other words, it's not a filter that runs on the phone, it's a feature of using something like iCloud mail which sends the list back to Apple's servers and does the work there. I'm extremely disappointed with this answer. If they are looking at the mail on the phone so that a red circle with a slash through it can be displayed on each item from a blocked contact, how hard could it be to automatically move it to the trash? Why make me select all of them and move it myself? I'd be fine with that if they would provide a way to easily select everything that came from a blocked sender, but no...

If the feature only supports things like iCloud mail (and maybe gmail), the documentation should say that so that people don't waste their time.

Blocked emails in inbox on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.