You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder in trash keeps appearing after trash is emptied.

I have deleted this folder (the folder used to be an old git repo). I then proceeded to empty the trash, but after 30 seconds or so the folder reappears in the trash again. I have tried rebooting, repair the disk in recovery, reinstalling the os, but still this folder refuses to be trashed. Also I attempted to remove it through terminal, and restoring the folder and removing it from the terminal but it keeps reappearing in the Trash.

Note: The folder appears to be empty, it has a .git folder in it, I have tried removing this folder and then removing then the folder but to effect.

Specs:

--------

chip: M1 Pro

model: 14-inch 2021

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 11, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 8:59 AM

Thanks John,

I was able to resolve this issue but not this way. For anyone else running into this issue here is what I did to resolve:

The issue was due to iCloud. When I tried to empty the trash on my local computer, some hiccup occurred that did not empty the trash on the remote drive (iCloud). So I signed into the iCloud Drive on my browser, emptied the trash from there, then empty the trash from my local machine and the 'zombie folder' remained buried.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2022 8:59 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John,

I was able to resolve this issue but not this way. For anyone else running into this issue here is what I did to resolve:

The issue was due to iCloud. When I tried to empty the trash on my local computer, some hiccup occurred that did not empty the trash on the remote drive (iCloud). So I signed into the iCloud Drive on my browser, emptied the trash from there, then empty the trash from my local machine and the 'zombie folder' remained buried.

May 11, 2022 3:40 PM in response to ngrav007

Restart your Mac in "Safe Mode" and determine if you can delete the folder while in that mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Then, restart your Mac normally (not Safe Mode) and determine if it keeps reappearing.

If you do not succeed it may be what I call a "zombie folder". Having created that monster myself by deliberately inflicting harm upon the unfortunate Mac, the only known resolution was to restore a Time Machine backup.

Folder in trash keeps appearing after trash is emptied.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.