You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV APP streaming movies at really low quality

I have an M1 MacBook Air with MacOS Monterey 12.3.1 (the latest as of right now), and when I watch movies on the Apple TV APP on my MacBook Air (I'm emphasizing that because whenever I search up this problem, I find a bunch of answers involving the Apple TV product, which is not what I am asking about). I set the streaming quality in the preferences to be at high quality (up to 4K), but the quality is somewhere around 480 to 720p. Before anyone asks, I have quite a good internet connection of about 500 mbps download and 22 mbps upload speed. Is there a way I can force Apple TV to play at least1080p? Also, if it matters if the movie was bought in HD or SD, how would I find that?

Thanks to anyone that can help

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 11, 2022 3:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 12:00 PM

Welcome DasBubb,

It sounds like this only happens in the Apple TV app on your Mac. No issues with streaming other services using your Mac? Like, Netflix with Safari?

If so, then it may very well be your network connection. We'd try to restart the network and then the Mac to test this out. Contact your Internet provider for steps to reset the network router.

Here are the playback options and how to change them: Change Playback preferences in the Apple TV app on Mac - Apple Support

Streaming Options

Choose the option that works best with your computer and internet service provider.

- High Quality (Up to 4K): Streams the highest quality video, including HDRvideo when it’s available.
- Data Saver: Streams the best quality available at the lowest file size.

To find a movie quality, locate it in your Library, then select on the three dots that appear when you hoover your cursor over it, tap that and 'Get Info'. It should pop up a window to show you the movie's information. You'll see the quality next to the title.

Let us know if this helps out, take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2022 12:00 PM in response to DasBubb

Welcome DasBubb,

It sounds like this only happens in the Apple TV app on your Mac. No issues with streaming other services using your Mac? Like, Netflix with Safari?

If so, then it may very well be your network connection. We'd try to restart the network and then the Mac to test this out. Contact your Internet provider for steps to reset the network router.

Here are the playback options and how to change them: Change Playback preferences in the Apple TV app on Mac - Apple Support

Streaming Options

Choose the option that works best with your computer and internet service provider.

- High Quality (Up to 4K): Streams the highest quality video, including HDRvideo when it’s available.
- Data Saver: Streams the best quality available at the lowest file size.

To find a movie quality, locate it in your Library, then select on the three dots that appear when you hoover your cursor over it, tap that and 'Get Info'. It should pop up a window to show you the movie's information. You'll see the quality next to the title.

Let us know if this helps out, take care.

May 12, 2022 6:57 PM in response to destiny241

No problems with other streaming services (like my browser can play 4k and it actually is 4k, and that's completely over the internet). The weird thing is that it's just the TV app, but I'll try those two things. Thanks!

Also, just wondering, would the upload speed effect anything for streaming video? I know that is most likely the bottleneck if streaming 1080p requires that for some reason

May 12, 2022 7:52 PM in response to DasBubb

I’m a similar issue. Trying to watch anything and it will pause to buffer. This happens almost once every 2 minutes. My download speed is currently 728 Mbps and upload is 274. However anytime you try to ask or google what the issue may be everything and everyone defaults to “it’s the network connection.” Considering how many people have had the same issue, I feel there is more than just network connection issues to blame.

May 12, 2022 8:00 PM in response to StaticBlue212

I agree. Even my internet connection is more than enough for streaming even 4k video. Also, sometimes when I'm watching a movie it will randomly drop in quality, even if I haven't changed networks or changed anything. It's pretty irritating because a) we payed for the movies, and b) my computer, monitor, and wifi are all capable of streaming above 480p. I've also heard of a similar issue with renting/buying movies on YouTube (but I don't know if there's any connection between the two, but I thought it would be interesting to mention)

Apple TV APP streaming movies at really low quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.