You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Abnormally slow log in times, nothing works on MacBook Air

A list of my grievances:

• Logging in from startup takes 15 minutes.
  • Logging in from sleep can take up to 10 minutes.

I've tried avoiding this by disabling the lock screen, but Settings often freezes at startup or freezes for a minute and doesn't make this change,

Most times, logging in from sleep doesn't work to begin with. Instead, once I'd entered my password, the password would be highlighted, as if nothing had happened. None of the buttons would work.

• Apps including Preview, Settings, Finder, Adobe Creative Cloud and Opera completely freeze on startup.

Chrome, Discord and Sticky Notes work as far as I've checked.

I have had this general problem 3 times. The last two times, I'd keep resetting PRAM and SMC, booting in Safe Mode, First Aid; as well as in Recovery Mode, and it'd eventually go back to normal. The second time, I made a separate test account to check and it didn't have any of the problems.

(possibly unrelated but I have 18GB of free memory that often gets consumed by 'Other Volumes in Container', which I later found out is supposedly a bug with virtual memory that keeps expanding when I don't shut down my MacBook)

MacBook Air

Posted on May 12, 2022 9:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 10:59 PM

Dr. 404 Said:

"Abnormally slow log in times, nothing works on MacBook Air: [...]I was able to make space to update to Monterey, hoping something would come of it, but couldn't update by error 69716."

-------

Troubleshooting Updates:

Go Here: If an Error Occurred while Updating or Installing macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2022 10:59 PM in response to Dr. 404

Dr. 404 Said:

"Abnormally slow log in times, nothing works on MacBook Air: [...]I was able to make space to update to Monterey, hoping something would come of it, but couldn't update by error 69716."

-------

Troubleshooting Updates:

Go Here: If an Error Occurred while Updating or Installing macOS - Apple Support

May 12, 2022 10:27 PM in response to Dr. 404

Dr. 404 Said:

"Abnormally slow log in times, nothing works on MacBook Air: A list of my grievances: [...](possibly unrelated but I have 18GB of free memory that often gets consumed by 'Other Volumes in Container', which I later found out is supposedly a bug with virtual memory that keeps expanding when I don't shut down my MacBook)"

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

D. Clear Other:

What is in "Other" in MANAGE STORAGE? - Apple Community

May 13, 2022 5:37 PM in response to Dr. 404

Dr. 404 Said:

"Abnormally slow log in times, nothing works on MacBook Air: A list of my grievances: I've installed a macOS security update and it seems everything's back to normal.: It took two tries after an error saying there was a hardware issue."

-------

This seems to be a bug. So, report it.

If you were getting an error message about there being a hardware issue, it may be a bug with the update. So, report this to Apple:

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback thy receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Application/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on when you came across this issue(after installing an update). and how you have troubleshot it thus far. Include the URL of this post.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

May 13, 2022 10:30 PM in response to Dr. 404

This all has started happening again for over 24 hours now.

I've tried First Aid from Disk Utility countless times to no avail. It'd occasionally say that the disk is corrupt and to repair from Recovery Mode (immediately after the button press, at that), but Recovery Mode would do nothing.

Internet Recovery Mode gave an error 2002F.

I was able to make space to update to Monterey, hoping something would come of it, but couldn't update by error 69716.

Abnormally slow log in times, nothing works on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.