You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling MacOs (Monterrey)

I want to be clear about something. If I reinstall the Mac OS, am I correct that once that is done, my iMac will boot from the OS and that all of my prior apps and data will be the same as before the reinstall?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.1

Posted on May 14, 2022 11:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2022 11:52 AM

A reinstall will overwrite your system files but it will NORMALLY leaves your apps and files alone.

But, and I cannot stress this enough: always make a backup before doing anything (like reinstall or update) your OS. There is always a minimal chance that something can go wrong, and better safe than sorry

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2022 11:52 AM in response to BethesdaJack

A reinstall will overwrite your system files but it will NORMALLY leaves your apps and files alone.

But, and I cannot stress this enough: always make a backup before doing anything (like reinstall or update) your OS. There is always a minimal chance that something can go wrong, and better safe than sorry

Reinstalling MacOs (Monterrey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.