You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Disable Volume Button for Operating Camera?

I often stop while I'm on a bike ride and take videos. I hold the phone horizontally, not vertically like some heathen. The problem is that when you hold the phone that way, and especially when you are wearing gloves, it is super easy to hit the volume button which stops your video from recording.

And it is super easy to not notice this since the only real different on your screen is that the little red circle turns into a little red square, and vice versa.

This is a *huge* pain in the *** as I'm trying to film content for my youtube channel and I end up missing the whole thing I'm trying to film without realizing it.

But if I could just turn off that feature I don't really use anyway, so the volume keys would no longer take photos/start recording video/stop recording video, then I'd be all set!!

But I can't find a setting like this anywhere. Halp!

iPhone 11

Posted on May 19, 2022 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2022 4:58 AM

Although there is no option in Settings for the Camera app to disable the hardware volume up/down buttons, you can temporarily turn on Guided Access while in the Camera app to disable the volume buttons as well as the side button. The side button will still function to engage and disengage Guided Access.

Navigate to Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access, then toggle on Guided Access. If on, toggle off Accessibility Shortcut. Tap Passcode Settings, tap Set Guided Access Passcode and enter an easy to remember passcode. Re-enter your passcode. Toggle on Face ID. Close the Settings app.

The first time you use Guided Access you’ll need to check which options are turned on or off. Open the Camera app. Triple-click the side button to initiate Guided Access. Triple-click the side button again, then enter your passcode. Tap Options. If on, toggle off Side Button and Volume Buttons. Touch and Motion should be on and Time Limit off. Keyboards is irrelevant. Tap Done. Tap End to leave Guided Access.

Now that options for Guided Access are set, it’s time to test your workflow. Open the Camera app, then triple-click the side button. Start video recording. Click the volume buttons and side button once each to test that they are disabled. Video recording should be uninterrupted. Stop video recording. Turn the iPhone vertically with the lightning connector at the bottom. Double-click the side button to use Face ID to leave Guided Access.

Use Guided Access on iPhone

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15.5

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2022 4:58 AM in response to l008com

Although there is no option in Settings for the Camera app to disable the hardware volume up/down buttons, you can temporarily turn on Guided Access while in the Camera app to disable the volume buttons as well as the side button. The side button will still function to engage and disengage Guided Access.

Navigate to Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access, then toggle on Guided Access. If on, toggle off Accessibility Shortcut. Tap Passcode Settings, tap Set Guided Access Passcode and enter an easy to remember passcode. Re-enter your passcode. Toggle on Face ID. Close the Settings app.

The first time you use Guided Access you’ll need to check which options are turned on or off. Open the Camera app. Triple-click the side button to initiate Guided Access. Triple-click the side button again, then enter your passcode. Tap Options. If on, toggle off Side Button and Volume Buttons. Touch and Motion should be on and Time Limit off. Keyboards is irrelevant. Tap Done. Tap End to leave Guided Access.

Now that options for Guided Access are set, it’s time to test your workflow. Open the Camera app, then triple-click the side button. Start video recording. Click the volume buttons and side button once each to test that they are disabled. Video recording should be uninterrupted. Stop video recording. Turn the iPhone vertically with the lightning connector at the bottom. Double-click the side button to use Face ID to leave Guided Access.

Use Guided Access on iPhone

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15.5

Can I Disable Volume Button for Operating Camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.