You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Formatting Issue with Microsoft Word and Pages

Hi there,

I am working with several documents that were created in Microsoft Word on a PC (for work). I do not have access to Microsoft Office Suite for Mac. My default word processing client is Pages on my MacBook.

There is a line that appears in Pages when I open the Word document but, once I make changes in Pages and save it and send it for review, the formatting is off in Microsoft Word on the PC (even though it looks as it should on my Mac). I am exporting it to a Word document. I have tried saving it as a pdf and that works but, it does not work as a Word document.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 20, 2022 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 11:26 AM

Pages is not a Word clone and does a conversion of the Word document on opening into the Apple internal .pages document format, and another conversion upon exporting to Word again. If you were using Word 16.61 (current) on your Mac, then you would be opening those Word documents in their native document format which would avoid two conversions.

We do not recommend using Pages as a substitute for a current version of MS Word on the Mac when sharing documents in a corporate setting because Apple does not guarantee any accuracy in that conversion process, and you have no means to see the exported document as it would normally view in MS Word. If your employer has a MS Site license, you should be able to obtain the current MS applications for the Mac, or your manager should allow you to expense the purchase.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2022 11:26 AM in response to valatoya

Pages is not a Word clone and does a conversion of the Word document on opening into the Apple internal .pages document format, and another conversion upon exporting to Word again. If you were using Word 16.61 (current) on your Mac, then you would be opening those Word documents in their native document format which would avoid two conversions.

We do not recommend using Pages as a substitute for a current version of MS Word on the Mac when sharing documents in a corporate setting because Apple does not guarantee any accuracy in that conversion process, and you have no means to see the exported document as it would normally view in MS Word. If your employer has a MS Site license, you should be able to obtain the current MS applications for the Mac, or your manager should allow you to expense the purchase.

Quick Formatting Issue with Microsoft Word and Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.