You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you know what size external hard drive to get?

How do you know what size external hard drive to get for a Mac?

Posted on May 20, 2022 2:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 3:58 PM

If you are going to use it as a Time Machine backup, please get a drive that has at least 2X the capacity of what is currently stored on the computer. I would STRONGLY recommend a 2-4 TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro. Do not, repeat DO NOT use if for any other types of overflow storage other than as a dedicated backup drive. If you want to store additional information then get a 2nd External Hard Disk. If you are not familiar with Time Machine please carefully read:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

The reason I recommended OWC is you should invest in a quality External Hard Disk. Buying the drives that come on sale every other week at Walmart (WD, Seagate, Toshiba) are their entry level drives and not very high quality. What kind of value do you put on your data??

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2022 3:58 PM in response to Citygirl789

If you are going to use it as a Time Machine backup, please get a drive that has at least 2X the capacity of what is currently stored on the computer. I would STRONGLY recommend a 2-4 TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro. Do not, repeat DO NOT use if for any other types of overflow storage other than as a dedicated backup drive. If you want to store additional information then get a 2nd External Hard Disk. If you are not familiar with Time Machine please carefully read:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

The reason I recommended OWC is you should invest in a quality External Hard Disk. Buying the drives that come on sale every other week at Walmart (WD, Seagate, Toshiba) are their entry level drives and not very high quality. What kind of value do you put on your data??

May 20, 2022 3:24 PM in response to rkaufmann87

It is just for a home computer. Photos, some documents and such

,Just to use for back-up in case of computer crash. Recently had a scare with trying to download the upgrade for Mac and in the process screen went black and had to do a recovery with the help of apple support, which i was thankful. Was lucky this time that everything came back, but just preparing in case of a next time.

How do you know what size external hard drive to get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.