You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete apps on my Mac?

Hello, Can anyone tell me how to delete apps on my mac (running Big Sur bc that's the latest it can support, it's 7 years old). Hoping to postpone purchasing a new mac but can't delete apps without entering the administrator password (which is correct but it won't recognize it), and some apps are slowing the mac down. Thanks in advance!

J Bjerke

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 24, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 4:54 AM

This should like the Account being Used is Not an Admin Account of this computer or the Admin Account has some how been downgraded to Standard.

Check in System Preferences >> Users & Groups . What does it say regarding your user account ?

refer to below

7 replies

May 24, 2022 2:33 PM in response to jbjerke1

jbjerke1 wrote:

Hello, Can anyone tell me how to delete apps on my mac (running Big Sur bc that's the latest it can support, it's 7 years old). Hoping to postpone purchasing a new mac but can't delete apps without entering the administrator password (which is correct but it won't recognize it), and some apps are slowing the mac down. Thanks in advance!
J Bjerke

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

How do you log into your account if your admin psswd does not work..?

May 24, 2022 4:54 PM in response to jbjerke1

Have you tried dragging them from the Applications folder? By the way, apps installed from Apple by default cannot be deleted. And, it is usually not the app that is dragging it down unless it is a known resource hogging app like Chrome. Do you have any cleaning or AV apps installed such as CleanMyMac or stuff like it?

May 28, 2022 1:43 PM in response to jbjerke1

1 - First big question before moving forwards - Is there are very very Recent Time Machine Backup done just before the upGrade to Big Sur ?

2 - Second big question - is what is presently installed on the now Non Admin Account replaceable ?

I know of one method to try and recreate a New Admin Account on the computer as the computer exists right now. To be honest, this method is not one of the Methods I am familiar enough with to even suggest it. There are several there More Learned Colleagues who are and have had success but I am not one of them

Then there is the one I am more confident suggesting. It is very very much dependent on the answers to the first two questions.

So, I best stop here until more information is disclosed.

How to delete apps on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.