You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine fails to back up. error message reads “/private/var/audit/20220430140425.crash_recovery” could not be backed up.

time machine fails to back up. error message reads “/private/var/audit/20220430140425.crash_recovery” could not be backed up.

what shall i do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:19 AM

ritaleung70 wrote:

what shall i do?

Try a different external drive and compare you results.

If the drive is failing replace it...

you can try salvaging the drive with issues:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

All drives will fail in due time—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2022 7:19 AM in response to ritaleung70

ritaleung70 wrote:

what shall i do?

Try a different external drive and compare you results.

If the drive is failing replace it...

you can try salvaging the drive with issues:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

All drives will fail in due time—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.