You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Safari: File: Save to Notes

The feature in Safari that allows me to save a webpage to Notes, especially when I'm on YouTube is fantastic but has a problem in that eventually every time I use it - the Save button eventually becomes dimmed, and it won't allow me to save the note.

My workaround is that I close and re-open Safari and use the menu command to re-open all the windows again from a menu command. That gets tiresome after the first 100 times or so though. This is an important feature because YouTube's save function is slow and useless as compared to finding something using Apple Notes, and. it has a wonderful graphic that it saves on Apple Notes as well. It's very useful for someone who uses YouTube a lot.

I'm using an M1 Mac, using the latest OS, and only Apple Software. I have 3 M1 Macs, with the same problem on all of them.

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 5:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 6:36 AM

grburgess,

As the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, be sure to complete the steps in the section "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" from the article shared by K_Wall44.

If needed again the article is here: How to use safe mode on your Mac and the section is quoted below.

"If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode

If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
  • Reinstall macOS."

Keep us posted on the results.

Best.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2022 6:36 AM in response to grburgess

grburgess,

As the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, be sure to complete the steps in the section "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" from the article shared by K_Wall44.

If needed again the article is here: How to use safe mode on your Mac and the section is quoted below.

"If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode

If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
  • Reinstall macOS."

Keep us posted on the results.

Best.

Jun 6, 2022 7:57 AM in response to grburgess

Hello grburgess,

Are you completing the steps listed here: Attach photos, files, and more in Notes on Mac to save the content?

Does the same issue occur in a different user account? If you already have another user account set up, then you can use that one or create a new one to test in using the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Lastly, have you tested the issue in safe mode? f you are not familiar with the safe mode steps, you can follow the steps here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to get it done. Once in safe mode, you'd want to use the Mac as you normally would to see if the issue occurs again. You can tell when the Mac is in safe mode because on the desktop it will show the words Safe Boot in the top right-hand corner of the screen. 

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2022 8:53 PM in response to K_Wall44

My notes doesn't have to be upgraded according to what was described in your first point about completing the steps.

I don't seem to have this problem in a second user account, and I also don't have this problem in safe mode. So now I am stumped with what could be wrong with my main identity. does that mean that I have to wipe out that main identity and start over with all the setup in a different identity?

Jun 7, 2022 9:58 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thanks. I went through all the steps. There were no start up items listed under my User name, but I was suspicious and decided to delete a few non-Apple apps, since I have very few of them. That solved the problem.

I never checked after each one, but if I had to guess, I'd suspect that the app at fault was an app called "Shop". I think it's just poison malware. Now that feature of Share to Notes works perfectly with my user ID and I don't need to reinstall Mac OS.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Garry

Using Safari: File: Save to Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.