You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware on Macbook? How to scan or secure it

So I do agree nothing is hack proof. But I wanted to get a feel from other macbooks on how secure do they think their macbooks are and if they had virus or malware issues ever? I do web design and there were 2 instances where I feel malware was able to get login info or infect files from my macbook. Also my login info was stolen for a bank and emails which only would have happen thru macbook (maybe).

Do I need any anti-virus softwares or scans I need to perform.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 9:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 3:31 AM

You do not need any anti-virus for macOS as it has its own built-in security (including a read-only system partition) among other preventions. There is a reason that Microsoft issues a daily Windows Defender anti-virus software update. Anti-virus software will not prevent you downloading adware and malware that may be infesting applications downloaded from non-original vendor sites. Avoid download aggregation sites (e.g. macupdate, etc.).

We usually recommend the free to use Malwarebytes for Mac when adware/malware is suspected. You don't need a subscription, it will keep working (manually) after the trial period, and can be removed from its Help menu. It will detect any adware/malware and remove it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2022 3:31 AM in response to mk2552

You do not need any anti-virus for macOS as it has its own built-in security (including a read-only system partition) among other preventions. There is a reason that Microsoft issues a daily Windows Defender anti-virus software update. Anti-virus software will not prevent you downloading adware and malware that may be infesting applications downloaded from non-original vendor sites. Avoid download aggregation sites (e.g. macupdate, etc.).

We usually recommend the free to use Malwarebytes for Mac when adware/malware is suspected. You don't need a subscription, it will keep working (manually) after the trial period, and can be removed from its Help menu. It will detect any adware/malware and remove it.

Malware on Macbook? How to scan or secure it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.