You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Big Sur fail

I’m currently running MacOS Big Sur 11.6.5 on my MacBook Pro, Mid 2014. The most recent version of the OS is 11.6.6. Although my laptop is set to “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” this hasn’t happened. When I try to download the software from the App Store the response is, “finding update...” but it never does.

Is there another trusted source to download this (and any other future) update?

TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 12:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 9:47 AM

Try restarting in Safe Mode. Check Software update while in Safe Mode. If the update appears, download it while in Safe Mode.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

5 replies

Jun 7, 2022 9:25 AM in response to Sungroupie

i have seen some users here seeing issues with having auto-updates not being applied when they become available. and i have also seen others that have auto-updates setup and having trouble trying to manually update their mac. what i will suggest is to turn off auto-updates, restart your mac, and then try and manually try updating through system preferences > software update.

FWIW, i prefer to leave auto-updates disabled and instead apply them manually when presented through software update. the only thing i have set as "automatic" is "Install system data files and security updates" which happen in the background.

Update Big Sur fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.