You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to add a link to an email

how do I add a link to an email

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 2:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 3:05 PM

If you're looking to add a link into a mail message...

Type it in.

Cut-and-paste it.

Start the mail message from Safari using the Share button in Safari, and selecting Mail.

There are other ways.

If you're looking to send a link to others, referencing an email message...

There's no means to do that, as access into your email storage is not usually shared nor shareable.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2022 3:05 PM in response to stoneyp

If you're looking to add a link into a mail message...

Type it in.

Cut-and-paste it.

Start the mail message from Safari using the Share button in Safari, and selecting Mail.

There are other ways.

If you're looking to send a link to others, referencing an email message...

There's no means to do that, as access into your email storage is not usually shared nor shareable.

Jun 13, 2022 9:34 AM in response to stebarg

stebarg wrote:

Not helpful

The question is how to add a link to an email, NOT into an email.

Use of “to” here is ambiguous in common phrasing and as English can be, and both of the “if you’re looking…” interpretations of “to email” were answered in my previous reply. Written English is replete with opportunities for misinterpretations.

Reposting that second answer, rephrased: As you want to send a link referencing an email message stored in some mail server (“Look Ma, no ‘to’”😉), there is no means to provide that with most mail servers. Like most other mail servers, iCloud mail lacks a “share this mail message” feature. iCloud Files has that feature, but not mail.

You can forward the mail message, can embed the mail message, or can post the message somewhere and link to it. But you can’t link directly into most mail server mail stores.

if you think this message-linking feature would be valuable—and assuming you are using iCloud mail here, as each provider would need to implement this in their mail server—send your feedback to Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Jun 24, 2022 8:55 AM in response to stebarg

stebarg wrote:

I look for a way to create a link for ME, not for others. The way it's done automatically if you create a calendar entry from an email.

I'd like to use this link for any text, to access any specific email through this text by clicking on it.

There is no means to send another person a link referencing a message within your server’s mail storage , nor into your Mac or iPad or iPad main storage.

You can forward or can copy the message, or you can export and store the mail message as a text file somewhere—iCloud Files, with the file containing the mail message opened for partial or full remote access, or on a web server you control, for instance—and can then provide a link to that.

Or you can migrate to a mail server that supports this feature.

Outside of what would probably be a contact-management server, no mail server I’m aware of allows hyperlinks directly into a user’s mail storage.

This is both a mail client feature (which is the easy part, as most mail clients already permit links), and a mail server feature (enhancement to both provide the link, and to allow remote access via the link), with the latter being the feature centrally limiting what y’all want to do here.

Log feedback with Apple. Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 13, 2022 1:53 PM in response to MrHoffman

Let me explain it again in other words. If I receive an email, I can create a calendar entry from a date in this email. This calendar entry contains a link to this specific email. If I click on this link the email pops up. I just want the ability to create such a link myself. Can't be hard!

The address of the link is for example "message:****@****.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com%3E

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

how to add a link to an email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.