You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone Jack Stopped Working- iMac 24" M1

All of a sudden, my plug-in speakers stopped working. I checked all connections, and it did not work.

There is hum and feedback while plugging the connection in and out- but no sound when fully plugged in.

I plugged in a pair of headphones into the jack, and it, too does not work.

Rebooting does not help.

The built-in speakers are working.

Is there a setting to change?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 7:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 8:44 AM

I had this problem on my Apple Mac-mini 1M with Macos Monterey 12.4.

I tried starting up in safe mode. That is not easy, because when you keep the power button pressed the Mac-mini shuts down.

After a couple of times trying to boot in safe mode, it succeeded. After that my earphone jack worked again. Nobody knows why this output stopped working. I hope that it keeps working, because my audio system relies on it. I really don't like bluetooth for an audio connection.

I found the safe-mode reboot trick to fix the not-working earphones jack in this post: M1 Mac Mini headphone jack not working - Apple Community

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2022 8:44 AM in response to kennethfromeast windsor

I had this problem on my Apple Mac-mini 1M with Macos Monterey 12.4.

I tried starting up in safe mode. That is not easy, because when you keep the power button pressed the Mac-mini shuts down.

After a couple of times trying to boot in safe mode, it succeeded. After that my earphone jack worked again. Nobody knows why this output stopped working. I hope that it keeps working, because my audio system relies on it. I really don't like bluetooth for an audio connection.

I found the safe-mode reboot trick to fix the not-working earphones jack in this post: M1 Mac Mini headphone jack not working - Apple Community

Jul 5, 2022 9:00 PM in response to Mal-S

I’m still interested why the earphone output stopped working. I have never had this experience before that operation of peripherals connected with a Macintosh stop suddenly.

To check the chain is a little frustrating. I trust Apple hard- en software. So I hope that there will be fix to this. Restarting computers is so Windows PC like.

Headphone Jack Stopped Working- iMac 24" M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.