You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I link to a document in Finder?

I want to be able to link to a document in Finder from another app, but I can't find any way to create such a link from within Finder. Other apps, like Ulysses for example, allow you to create a link from within a sheet that I can then paste into another app. When I then click on that link in the other app I'm taken directly to the Ulysses sheet. This seems like an obvious thing to have in Finder. If not available, why not?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Peter

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 9:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:27 PM

Like many others here, I’m really not sure what you are asking.

In Finder, you can copy the path to the item (cmd-opt-c). The “other” app would have to know what to do with the path or whatever link you envision. That really isn’t a function of the Finder but of the app.

What “other” app are you pasting this link into? Can you paste it into any app and it works?

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2022 1:27 PM in response to petergales

Like many others here, I’m really not sure what you are asking.

In Finder, you can copy the path to the item (cmd-opt-c). The “other” app would have to know what to do with the path or whatever link you envision. That really isn’t a function of the Finder but of the app.

What “other” app are you pasting this link into? Can you paste it into any app and it works?

Jun 13, 2022 9:11 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi. Ulysses is a writing app. In principle, I would like to link directly to a document in Finder so that if I'm in Ulysses or any other app, eg. a notetaking app, or a Word document, I can click on a link (taken from Finder) and go directly to the document in Finder, or have that file open directly. Finder does not seem to allow users to create file links, or perhaps they are called callback URLs. This would be like taking the URL of a webpage and using that to create a link to that page from some other document or app.

Jun 17, 2022 12:44 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney. Even though you didn't understand what I'm asking you've helped me nonetheless. At least now I know how to copy the path to a Finder file. Perhaps I should go to the back of the class for my ignorance of this, but at least I know it now. I'm using the Craft app and I'll see if it know how to use a path to find and open the document in Finder. Very helpful man. Thanks.

Can I link to a document in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.