You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conditional highlighting for a cell that has Data Format as "Star Rating"

Anybody know of a method to use conditional highlighting in cells that have the chosen Data Format as "Star Rating". It is not available via the menus so perhaps it can't be done or maybe there is a workaround. Any ideas?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 1:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 1:47 PM

OMG so easy hahaha. Thank-you. If any Apple tech engineers see this post, please add a menu item in the conditional highlighting options to select based on stars. The method as explained by Ralf works perfectly fine once a user knows about it, but I think it would be helpful to have it as a stand-alone option where users select the criteria upon which the conditional highlighting is based.

Thanks Ralf!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2022 1:47 PM in response to Ralf-F

OMG so easy hahaha. Thank-you. If any Apple tech engineers see this post, please add a menu item in the conditional highlighting options to select based on stars. The method as explained by Ralf works perfectly fine once a user knows about it, but I think it would be helpful to have it as a stand-alone option where users select the criteria upon which the conditional highlighting is based.

Thanks Ralf!

Jun 11, 2022 2:01 PM in response to RWforumID777

The function is available but it seems buggy if you click around in the data fields.

It is best to start clean, save and re-open the Numbers file and then proceed as follows

• Select the cells with the data (I assume it is all plain numbers or it won't work)
  • Click on the format brush in the right upper corner
  • Select the tab Cell and the cell formatting options appear
  • Choose Data Format: Star Rating
  • At the bottom of the cell formatting options click on the button Conditional Highlighting
  • Select the green button Add a Rule and you get a pop-up to select your rule
  • In the pop-up on the left side make sure you have selected 123 Number
  • Select a rule like Greater than and enter a numeric value in the field that appears under Greater than
  • Select a condition (i.e Green Fill)
  • Above the rule click on the button Done

Now you should see the formatting.

Conditional highlighting for a cell that has Data Format as "Star Rating"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.