You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does App Store ask for a payment method to download a free app?

Why is phone making me add my card to it in order to download a free app

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 11:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 10:12 PM

The AppStore tells me to add my credit card every time I try to download a free app I tried to download tiktok and it kept asking for my password I unlock my phone with as I enter it,it says it’s incorrect so I enter my number doesn’t work.I add my Apple ID doesn’t work. It tells me to add my credit card/billing payment

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2022 10:12 PM in response to Odraode

The AppStore tells me to add my credit card every time I try to download a free app I tried to download tiktok and it kept asking for my password I unlock my phone with as I enter it,it says it’s incorrect so I enter my number doesn’t work.I add my Apple ID doesn’t work. It tells me to add my credit card/billing payment

Jun 19, 2022 12:31 AM in response to Lmaocandy248-A_

I believe this is part of the App Store contract. You need to enter a credit card even if you only buy free apps. What I personally do is to prevent in apps purchases and only enable the possibility to buy them when I am sure I want it.

To do that on your iPhone go to:

Settings > Content & Privacy restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > In-apps Purchases

Why does App Store ask for a payment method to download a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.