You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro screen turning off and on unless plugged into external display or playing video

The screen of my MacBook Pro 2016 turns off and on repeatedly unless it is plugged into an external display or a video is playing. When neither of these conditions are it consistently flickers from on to a black screen. This problem occurred a while ago and it went away when I updated it to Big SurOS. This problem has returned and I have tried updating it again to the now current MontereyOS 12.4. However this problem still persists.

I regularly plug it into my TV via HDMI and USB-C adapter to watch things in my room. I also cast to a google chrome cast in my living room. I used to be able to disconnect from either and use my MacBook just fine. What can I do to get rid of this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 10:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 10:27 PM

This sounds like a hardware issue. I would suggest changing the display settings without the monitors or any peripherals connected to the device. That way you would illuminate any issues of contamination from other devices. I’d also do a hard shut down instead of resetting. And if that issue persists I would treat a guest account or login to the guest user account and Test and see if the problem still persists. If he does after changing display settings then I would suggest scheduling a genius bar appointment

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 21, 2022 10:27 PM in response to User_Wolfgang

This sounds like a hardware issue. I would suggest changing the display settings without the monitors or any peripherals connected to the device. That way you would illuminate any issues of contamination from other devices. I’d also do a hard shut down instead of resetting. And if that issue persists I would treat a guest account or login to the guest user account and Test and see if the problem still persists. If he does after changing display settings then I would suggest scheduling a genius bar appointment

Jun 21, 2022 10:28 PM in response to User_Wolfgang

User_Wolfgang Said:

"MacBook Pro screen turning off and on unless plugged into external display or playing video: [...]This problem occurred a while ago and it went away when I updated it to Big SurOS. This problem has returned and I have tried updating it again to the now current MontereyOS 12.4. However this problem still persists.[...]"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r]. Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine. Report back if that fixes this.

MacBook Pro screen turning off and on unless plugged into external display or playing video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.