You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple Mail automatically dodwnload all my mail from 3 different accounts and place them into the Spam folder under the "On My Mac"

Why does Apple Mail automatically download and place all mail from 3 different accounts into the Spam folder under "On MY Mac" rather than into the In Box? All this mail still stays in the other 3 accounts inboxes so there is a redundancy and I am forced to go through basically 4 accounts including the ON MY MAC Spam box to sort all my mail and delete what is not needed.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 9:51 AM

cowboy greg wrote:

Why does Apple Mail automatically download and place all mail from 3 different accounts into the Spam folder under "On MY Mac" rather than into the In Box? All this mail still stays in the other 3 accounts inboxes so there is a redundancy and I am forced to go through basically 4 accounts including the ON MY MAC Spam box to sort all my mail and delete what is not needed.

Spam Folder (?)— is this third party...?

or you referring to Junk folder— try disabling Junk and test or make changes

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected—

If junk mail filters aren’t working in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Junk Mail preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Mail advanced junk mail settings on Mac - Apple Support

Change Junk Mail Advanced settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Identify and filter junk mail in iCloud - Apple Support

Manage junk mail in Mail on iCloud.com

Manage junk mail in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected you can turn it off

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2022 9:51 AM in response to cowboy greg

cowboy greg wrote:

Spam Folder (?)— is this third party...?

or you referring to Junk folder— try disabling Junk and test or make changes

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected—

If junk mail filters aren’t working in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Junk Mail preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Mail advanced junk mail settings on Mac - Apple Support

Change Junk Mail Advanced settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Manage junk mail in Mail on iCloud.com

Manage junk mail in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If Junk mail is not working for you as expected you can turn it off

Jun 24, 2022 10:11 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the response. I am attaching a screenshot of the Apple Mail folders. The ones under "On My Mac" were created by Apple Mail, when I started using this computer at work.

The Spam folder under "On My Computer" has 2 messages that also reside in my Proton Mail "all mail' folder in the cloud.

This also occurs with the Google account. Mail is apparently retrieving all mail from all my accounts and puts it into that Spam folder. Causing me to go through that folder and sort or delete mail, which still resides on the cloud servers at the 2 other accounts. Which also must be sorted and/or deleted there in the cloud server's folders.

On my personal MB Pro, I use a third party mail app that only retrieves and places on my MP Pro the messages that I want saved locally. While leaving everything else in the Inbox or Spam folder on the Server's cloud.

My question is basically, how do I get Apple mail to not retreive every message and stop placing everything in the Spam folder?

Why does Apple Mail automatically dodwnload all my mail from 3 different accounts and place them into the Spam folder under the "On My Mac"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.