You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arrow keys not working in Safari

The arrow keys on my external keyboard (Macally) stopped scrolling properly in Safari a few days ago. Press the upper arrow and I jump to the top of the page. Press the lower arrow and nothing happens. I can still scroll effectively with a mouse. And the keyboard itself is fine. I connected it to another MBP with the same updated version of Monterey and it works. It also works in MSWord, TextEdit, Crome and Firefox. I have not installed any new software recently.

I tried rebooting in safe mode but the Safari problem is still there. I also reinstalled the system software but to no avail.

I also noticed that if I enter text manually on sites in Safari, it will accept the first word but no spaces after that. It will only accept a sentence or paragraph of text created in another programme and then pasted into Safari.

What is this all about? Any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 3:57 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 26, 2022 11:53 AM in response to suitsusir

Hello suitsusir,

To help isolate the cause of this issue, create a new user account and test to see if the keyboard works properly in that new user account. This article shows you how:

Set up users, guests and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Add a user
On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups 
If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
2. Click the Add button  below the list of users
3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
4. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now — you can’t change it later
5. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
6. Click Create User.

Best Regards.

Arrow keys not working in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.