You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the monitor has a second screen for my iPad Pro?

I have an iPad Pro and an apple monitor. I can easily plug in the monitor to use it as a bigger display - but I’d love to use it as a second screen like I do with my computer.

Is this possible?

Thanks

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 9:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 4:10 AM

Most iPad models support AirPlay - and/or connection to a single external monitor using an appropriate HDMI Adapter. The most recent models of iPad Pro also support HDMI Alternate Mode/DisplayPort connections over USB-C. Compatible iPad models can be connected to a single monitor/TV.

You should note that iPad does not currently not support an extended-desktop view - as you may be accustomed with other computers, such as Windows PC - but instead permits the iPad display to be “mirrored” to a compatible external monitor/TV. When mirrored, the iPad’s screen aspect-ratio and relative scaling is preserved. An iPad can, however, “stream” media content directly to an attached monitor at the media’s native aspect ratio.

Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

Apple has publicly announced a new feature for iPadOS16, known as Stage Manager, “with full external display support”. For supported models of iPad, you will be able to use an external monitor as a separate display. iPadOS16 will be released later this year.

Here is a link to Apple’s Press Announcement:

iPadOS 16 takes the versatility of iPad even further - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2022 4:10 AM in response to NLDE

Most iPad models support AirPlay - and/or connection to a single external monitor using an appropriate HDMI Adapter. The most recent models of iPad Pro also support HDMI Alternate Mode/DisplayPort connections over USB-C. Compatible iPad models can be connected to a single monitor/TV.

You should note that iPad does not currently not support an extended-desktop view - as you may be accustomed with other computers, such as Windows PC - but instead permits the iPad display to be “mirrored” to a compatible external monitor/TV. When mirrored, the iPad’s screen aspect-ratio and relative scaling is preserved. An iPad can, however, “stream” media content directly to an attached monitor at the media’s native aspect ratio.

Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

Apple has publicly announced a new feature for iPadOS16, known as Stage Manager, “with full external display support”. For supported models of iPad, you will be able to use an external monitor as a separate display. iPadOS16 will be released later this year.

Here is a link to Apple’s Press Announcement:

iPadOS 16 takes the versatility of iPad even further - Apple

Can I use the monitor has a second screen for my iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.