You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deregister a number you don’t have access to

I do not have the old phone, the old sim, the old phone number. How can i deregister this number from my imessages/facetime options.

On my iphone> Settings> click on my name>click on "Name,Phone Numbers, Email" > Under Reachable at: it shows an old number for imessages and facetime.

I can click on Edit button but it doesn't give option to remove that old number.

iPhone 8

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 11:14 AM

14 replies

Jun 29, 2022 1:23 PM in response to jsunsnow

jsunsnow wrote:

I do not have the old phone, the old sim, the old phone number. How can i deregister this number from my imessages/facetime options.
On my iphone> Settings> click on my name>click on "Name,Phone Numbers, Email" > Under Reachable at: it shows an old number for imessages and facetime.
I can click on Edit button but it doesn't give option to remove that old number.

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online - Apple Support

Jun 30, 2022 7:52 AM in response to jsunsnow

OK, if that is the right number, then log out of Messages and FaceTime, restart your phone, and log back in. And if that doesn’t fix it change your Apple ID password (a tip from another user who found that this worked)→Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Also→What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2022 11:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don't think you understand so I'll go line by line:

Open Settings by tapping on the Settings =Done

Scroll down and tap on Phone=Done

Do Not tap on Edit= I don't even have that option navigating this way

Tap on My Number= that does Nothing. This is not clickable

The field that appears is editable= it is not

This is an iphone 8 btw

Also navigating this way shows me my good new working number. The issue is navigating the following shows an old number as "Reachable"

Settings> name> phone number

Jun 29, 2022 2:37 PM in response to jsunsnow

If the number no longer works there is no need to deregister it. Texts to the number will fall into the bit bucket, and the sender will get a “not delivered” message. After a few days the iMessage server will recognize that the number isn’t working and will deregister it automatically.

The only time you need to deregister a number is if you move the number to a non-Apple device, and then you can get the confirmation code on that device.

Jun 30, 2022 8:14 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I officially give up. Just for the record I did do the first suggestion had signed out of imssage and face time and rebooted that didn't work.

I just reset my apple id password and still that old number shows.

Everything works and my correct number has always been there I just wanted to remove the additional old number that shows up under" Reachable at". Oh well. Maybe it's my fault for not removing it in the old phone and then backing it up and restoring settings on this new phone but still weird that you can't remove old numbers associated with account.

Deregister a number you don’t have access to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.