You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID Icon has disappeared from System preferences

I have an iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) with OS Monterey 12.4. My touch ID ceased working and when I opened the touch ID icon in system preferences all of the options were greyed out so I decided to delete my fingerprint in order to set it up again. After deleting the Touch ID icon disappeared from Systems preferences. I checked this forum and saw that with a M1 all you needed to do was to shutdown for for 30 seconds and restart to get the icon back. I have tried this and still no icon. I have logged in as another user and still no icon. How can I rectify?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 9:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 8:12 AM

Sarjoh wrote:

I have an iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) with OS Monterey 12.4. My touch ID ceased working and when I opened the touch ID icon in system preferences all of the options were greyed out so I decided to delete my fingerprint in order to set it up again. After deleting the Touch ID icon disappeared from Systems preferences. I checked this forum and saw that with a M1 all you needed to do was to shutdown for for 30 seconds and restart to get the icon back. I have tried this and still no icon. I have logged in as another user and still no icon. How can I rectify?

For your M1—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

no insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Sarjoh

Sarjoh wrote:

For your M1—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

no insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Touch ID Icon has disappeared from System preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.