You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using old Time Machine external drive with a new computer

I know that files on a disk with Time Machine backups cannot be accessed by another Mac using Time Machine. I do not need to access the old files.

My question is, will the old files continue to take up space on the external drive after I start using it for Time Machine backups with a new Mac?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 9:41 AM

Kluunsi wrote:

I know that files on a disk with Time Machine backups cannot be accessed by another Mac using Time Machine. I do not need to access the old files.

My question is, will the old files continue to take up space on the external drive after I start using it for Time Machine backups with a new Mac?

If you want to preserve those old backups start a new backup device.

ref: If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support

otherwise if you want to recover all the drive space—

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2022 9:41 AM in response to Kluunsi

Kluunsi wrote:

If you want to preserve those old backups start a new backup device.

ref: If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support

otherwise if you want to recover all the drive space—

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Using old Time Machine external drive with a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.