You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How would I extend the display from my employer-issued MacBook Air M1 to my personal 24" iMac M1?

Through my employer, I use a MacBook Air M1. I would like to extend the display to my personal 24" iMac M1, so I can work from either both screens or the larger one. I would also like to do both of these using my iMac keyboard and mouse. Is this setup possible? I just tried from my personal MacBook Pro 13" M1 and am failing.

I am hoping to use my work device as the main hub, so my personal device is simply an external monitor. I believe I am trying to daisy chain from the employer MacBook Air to my personal iMac. I would like this to be seamless so I could essentially disconnect my MacBook when needed, so that my iMac can operate as it normally would.

Please advise on whether this is possible or not. If it is, what equipment would I need?

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 6:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 7:45 AM

Not possible natively. Only old iMacs (from a decade ago) can be used as external displays, and even then only with older laptops.

There are 3rd party solutions that may work for you, e.g. Luna Display.

4 replies

Jul 8, 2022 4:51 AM in response to organically123

organically123 wrote:

Hi Kaz-K,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't believe this is what I want. I did screen share, but noticed I could only work on one screen. Is there a way to work on both screens at the same time using one keyboard?

Take a look at this to see if this is what you want:

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

Works for both Mac to iPad and Mac to Mac. Note that both Macs must be running the latest version of macOS Monterey.

How would I extend the display from my employer-issued MacBook Air M1 to my personal 24" iMac M1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.