You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop formula suggestions

Hi

This is probably very basic and easily fixable, but it is driving me mad.

I am double-clicking into cells to edit and then copy their content, but after a short while numbers is now suggesting formulas with a little window that pops up and each subsequent double-click in the cell just adds that cell reference number to the formula prompt, rather than letting me edit and copy the text in the cell. I don't know what the feature is called.

How can I turn this off?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 6:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 8:54 AM

It looks as if columns L and M are formatted as Currency and that you already have a formula in column N that sums columns G through M.

That is expected behavior. When you double-click a cell that already contains a formula then the formula editor pops up to let you edit it.

If you want to copy the range of cells, just select them (without double-clicking), then command-c, click where you want to paste them and command-v to paste. (Or, if you don't want the formula to paste, Edit > Paste Formula Results).

SG

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2022 8:54 AM in response to ringeflange

It looks as if columns L and M are formatted as Currency and that you already have a formula in column N that sums columns G through M.

That is expected behavior. When you double-click a cell that already contains a formula then the formula editor pops up to let you edit it.

If you want to copy the range of cells, just select them (without double-clicking), then command-c, click where you want to paste them and command-v to paste. (Or, if you don't want the formula to paste, Edit > Paste Formula Results).

SG

Jul 14, 2022 9:14 AM in response to ringeflange

ringeflange wrote:

I can't see what the content of a cell is (actual value vs. result of a formula) like you can in Excel with that bar at the top of the worksheet.

In this case don't look up at the top. Look lower left:

MacMost has good videos. Many others on YouTube are for a very old version of Numbers. Also look in your menu at Help > Numbers Help and the templates at File > New.

SG

Stop formula suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.