You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Capture MiniDV to FCPX on MacBook Pro M1 Max (with Sony Handycam HDR-HC3) - Camera not recognized

I never had an issue importing MiniDV footage onto my old iMac via a iLink DV to firewire cable. But now that I've upgraded to the MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max, I have yet to find a cable hookup that allows Final Cut Pro X to recognize the camera. I've tried:

1) DV to USB-A (cable for DCR-TRV75E)

2) HDMI to USB-C

3) DV to Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3/USB-C

Does anyone know how I can get FCPX to recognize the camera or, if not, any converter box that would work with the Sony Handycam HDR-HC3 to get decent quality transfers from the MiniDV tapes. (I have also tried iMovie -- same issue.) Thank you.

Rob

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

Apple M1 Max

Memory: 64GB

macOS Monterey 12.4

Final Cut Pro X 10.6.3

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 1:07 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 17, 2022 1:35 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis. When I check the system information, I can see that that the Thunderbolt/USB4 Bus 2 recognizes that a Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter is plugged in and the status says "Device connected" (see attached photo). But when I launch the import media window in FCPX, the camera does not show up as a camera or a device (see photo).

I also tried New Movie Recording in Quicktime as you suggested but I don't see the camera as an option (see photo). Would appreciated any other suggestions to get the camera recognized. The other "out" options on the camera are HDMI, component, A/V, and LANC.

Thank you.

Rob

--

Apple M1 Max

macOS Monterey 12.4

Final Cut Pro X 10.6.3

Jul 17, 2022 2:36 AM in response to magickbox777

Option 3 is the correct one.

Make sure the camera is turned on and check under System Information if the camera is recognized (I am not sure if it will appear under Thunderbolt or Firewire).

If the camera is recognized by your mac, make sure that there is a tape and that DV output is on (this may depend on the camera model).

Also, you can open Quicktime Player and do File->New Movie Recording and see if besides the default built-in camera you can select your DV camera.

This will confirm that you have access and provide an alternative way of recording your DV material.

Jul 17, 2022 4:09 PM in response to Alchroma

Thanks. In System Info, at first the Firewire panel said, "FireWire Bus: Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec." Now, for whatever reason it says "FireWire Bus: Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices." The Thunderbolt panel still recognizes the Thunderbolt adapter as show in the screenshot I previously provided.

I have also tried 2 DV to FireWire 800 cables and both have resulted in the same findings.

I have also tried 2 TB4 / USB-C inputs on my MacBook Pro.

I only have one set of the Thunderbolt adapters (FireWire to TB2 and TB2 to TB3).

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Rob

--

Apple M1 Max

macOS Monterey 12.4

Final Cut Pro X 10.6.3

How to Capture MiniDV to FCPX on MacBook Pro M1 Max (with Sony Handycam HDR-HC3) - Camera not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.