You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete file external hard drive> Shows up in trash on Mac

My questions is: When you delete something from external hard drive and it shows up in the Macs trash, is it actually in the Macs trash, I would have thought if I deleted something from a hard drive it is removed from that hard drive not added to another one? Confusing.

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 10:08 AM

3 replies

Jul 19, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Niel

Thank you for your reply, so in computer illiterate terms, its not actually putting the files deleted on a external hard drive onto the computer that has the trash can, the trash can is just a collective visual representation of what has been deleted during a user session/ local files that have been deleted in the past. Does this mean that If I disconnect the hard drive without emptying the trash the files I deleted from the external the showed up in the trash would disappear? I can mark your answer "best answer" if I understand this correctly.

Delete file external hard drive> Shows up in trash on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.