You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command Key Not Working

After following steps outlined here (Command Key Not Working - Apple Community, I am still unable to enter Recovery mode because... the command key is not working. I use a TON of shortcuts for my daily workflow and this has completely thrown me off. I have an older Mac and recently updated to the latest software a few days ago, it seemed to be working fine until yesterday when the command key no longer works.

When I try to do command-c to copy something it gives me this: ç

When I try to paste command-v it gives me this:

About My Mac:

macOS Monterey Version 12.4

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-in, Late 2015)

Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

I know it's an old machine, but I rely on this for my freelancing work and I really hope I don't have to replace it... I sincerely appreciate any guidance anyone is able to provide!

iMac

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 6:20 AM

It's not the age of the machine. The symbols you are getting are normal for option-c and option-v. Assuming you are using an Apple keyboard, check System Preferences > Keyboard, and check "Modifier Keys…".

5 replies

Command Key Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.