You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to send a low res pic via NON-APPLE email (specifically Outlook for Mac)?

Still, in 2022, I can't find a way to send a low res pic (that's stored, hi res) in Photos via non Apple email... I can now do it via text but I don't want to== not everyone texts!!!

And I don't want to make it complicated by sending a link.

Isn't there a simple work around or feature to allow this?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 11:55 AM

NJpsychout ~ Yet another option is to create a simple custom shortcut in Apple's Shortcuts app:

The following shortcut prompts you to select a photo, reduces the quality to low-res, copies it to the clipboard and opens Outlook ready for pasting into an email:

Shortcuts User Guide for Mac (macOS Monterey)

õ¿õ¬

10 replies

Jul 23, 2022 9:55 AM in response to NJpsychout

Ask Microsoft to add this share sheet feature to Outlook, switch your default mail client to Outlook, or switch to Microsoft Windows and use that rather than macOS, or encourage the recipients onto gear that they can work with more easily such as maybe an iPad, or maybe add an automator action, or log your feedback with Apple as they may or may not see ypur posting here: Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 24, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Alancito

Hi; thank you so much. (I'm amazed I've used Macs for 20 yrs now and have no clue about some of these things, like what Shortcut is for).

If you have time, please explain to me:

1) the how to use Shortcuts instructions start with importing the Shortcut (in a xxx..shortcut format) from the Finder file.

But the way you sent me the file involved the link back to the community posting, of course. And I could not figure out how to move the Shortcut outside of the Community discussion (I'm sorry if I'm not being clear).

So this is the link that took me to your post:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/161def72-835e-4e86-902a-724b42016156

So I tried to right click on the link, hoping I could save it as a .shortcut file, but I did not see a way to do that.

And I clicked on the shortcut itself, and of course the Shortcut you made opened.

Then I read the "Short cut users guide to Mac." But alas, I could not figure it out.

I guess I need to wait for a dummies book to come out; and I don't want to bother you when you tried to help...Thanks (if you have time at some point to answer my q's above that'd be great, but if not I'll figure out a different work around,

Howard

Jul 24, 2022 12:04 PM in response to NJpsychout

Hi Howard: You're welcome! Shortcuts for Mac was introduced in macOS Monterey in 2021. Shortcuts for iOS was introduced in 2018.

What I posted was simply a screenshot of the shortcut when viewed in the Shortcuts app's window. Below is the iCloud link to the shortcut file – click on it and you'll be able to add it to your Shortcuts app:

Resize Image To Clipboard

In that shortcut, you'll notice that the Open App action is missing the app to open. So, in that Open App action, click on "App" and choose Outlook.

Any shortcut can be placed in the menu bar or Dock for easy access – but I'll let you discover how to accomplish that. There are a few third party tutorials on YouTube and here's Apple's video intro:

How to use Shortcuts on Mac | Apple Support

From Apple's User Guide, here are step-by-step instructions for creating your own shortcuts:

Create a custom shortcut on Mac

Although Shortcuts is simple, there's a lot to it. Like many new endeavors, it takes a willingness to learn through experimentation – and a tolerance for resulting frustration. I'd be happy to answer your questions, but would be reluctant to type out long, step-by-step instructions. Good luck!

õ¿õ¬

Jul 24, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Mal-S

Mal-S wrote:

Export your photo from Photos to your Desktop
In Finder navigate to the exported file and Right Click on the file and chose Compress
This produces a .zip file which can be attached to the email.

How does that make a lower resolution image? Almost every image format is already compressed. Compressing it with Zip will likely make it bigger, not smaller.

How to send a low res pic via NON-APPLE email (specifically Outlook for Mac)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.