You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting Songs in iTunes

Is there decent way to sort songs in an iTunes playlist? I'm using it on a Windows machine. I have a playlist that I like to keep sorted alphabetically by what album each track is from. I've found a way to move songs around manually, but doing that is entirely unfeasible. It would involve manually moving dozens of tracks around in a playlist that has almost 500 songs in it. Is there any way to just get the column names a the top, and click on one of them to sort that way. That's how I used to do it in Windows Media Player, and seems like it ought to be easy enough.

On the whole, I find iTunes significantly less user friendly than WMP, except that the latter doesn't seem to work well with Windows 11.

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 5:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 1:02 AM

First use the View menu to view the list as Songs. If you click the header of the Album column that should sort the list by album title, then disc and track number. Click the heading again and it should change to Album by Artist, which groups songs first by artist, then album, and lastly sorts by disc and track number. Click again for Album by Artist/Year which attempts to sort a given artist's albums by release date.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2022 1:02 AM in response to TheMelancholyDonkey

First use the View menu to view the list as Songs. If you click the header of the Album column that should sort the list by album title, then disc and track number. Click the heading again and it should change to Album by Artist, which groups songs first by artist, then album, and lastly sorts by disc and track number. Click again for Album by Artist/Year which attempts to sort a given artist's albums by release date.

tt2

Sorting Songs in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.