You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2017 Computer won't update to latest OS version(s)

My iMac stopped updating after Big Sur OS 11.6.4? WHY?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 9:11 AM

Do you have a VPN, any third pard Anti-Virus, Cleaning or Optimizing junk-ware installed on your iMac?

If so, those can wreak havoc on the macOS and prevent it from updating/upgrading properly.

Best bet is to un-install that junk-ware as per the developers instructions.

Then Startup in Safe Mode and see if it will Upgrade to Monterey.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Madje76

Do you have a VPN, any third pard Anti-Virus, Cleaning or Optimizing junk-ware installed on your iMac?

If so, those can wreak havoc on the macOS and prevent it from updating/upgrading properly.

Best bet is to un-install that junk-ware as per the developers instructions.

Then Startup in Safe Mode and see if it will Upgrade to Monterey.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2022 11:22 AM in response to den.thed

OMGosh, yes! We have Bitdefender installed on all devices. I never thought of this? It's the small stuff one tends to forget (or sweat). Thank you very much! I'll check it out and let the hubby know. This makes a big difference. Does one REALLY need any type of malware, junk-ware or virus protection for an iMac? Thank you SO much for assisting ~ I'm very grateful.

Jul 26, 2022 2:34 PM in response to den.thed

Well, nothing occurred in Safe boot. So I did the reinstall of the MAC OS, which was Big Sur (same version which was on there before all this started). I disconnected all junk-ware. There was an update available for Monterey. So I clicked on it and it didn't upload - don't know why, because I couldn't stay and watch it (darn). So, I tried again to see if the update was available and all that occurred was the spinning beach ball. I found out that the trade-in value on my iMac (2017 21.5" screen Intel 5) is only $150.00 - this sucks. So I don't know what to do now.

iMac 2017 Computer won't update to latest OS version(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.