You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect iMac to Dell Monitor - does not recognize

Purchased an iMac in 2021 and trying to connect an additional monitor, it is a Dell. HDMI from Dell monitor to HDMI/C adapter into the back of the new iMac. The iMac is not finding it. I am accessing the Display preferences through System Preferences and clicking on "Add Display". Have restarted Mac; made sure my connections are solid, but no connection. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 7:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 7:19 AM

See this instructions, on the new Mac you need to connect displays via thunderbolt

Connect a display to your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

• On MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac mini, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2022 7:19 AM in response to cryforhelp

See this instructions, on the new Mac you need to connect displays via thunderbolt

Connect a display to your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

• On MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac mini, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .

Jul 25, 2022 7:39 AM in response to WheelieNick

• Thank you for the link above, most helpful. Here is what is mentioned:
    • Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:
      • One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

So now I know it can support one external display, how do I get the iMac to recognize it? I have read through the connection suggestions, all is good there. Any additional suggestions?

Thanks

Wendy

Connect iMac to Dell Monitor - does not recognize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.