You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio not working after updating MacBook Pro to 12.5 Monterey

Hello guys, this is my first time on this forum, I am not very sure how to word this properly as I am not very tech-savvy so I will do the best I can.

I recently updated my Macbook 2018 Pro from Mojave to the latest 12.5 Monterey and immediately after updating, all of my audio from Macbook speaker to earphones/bluetooth would not work despite my Macbook recognising the devices I used. Occasionally, the sound would come back but after awhile, it would be gone again. The only "remedy" I have found was to restart, but the problem still persists after some time. I also noticed that anything audio related such as Youtube/Spotify would either be extremely laggy, or only the video and not the sound would play. All other Macbook functions seem to be fine. This issue only occured after I updated.

Steps I have taken:

• I reinstalled Monterey to no effect
  • I tried killing core audio
  • I did the usual settings check
  • I run a virtual machine, so I went to check on it as well and it shows that all drivers and audio devices are updated and supposedly working

Is this a bug that will get patched in the near future? I am at a loss because I do not know if this is a software issue that would get fixed or if its a problem with my own computer. I have heard of reinstalling to an older OS but I stupidly did not create a backup for all my data and I do not want to risk losing everything for nothing. I also unfortunately am not covered by warranty as it expired awhile ago.

Thank you very much for reading, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 12:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 5:13 AM

Hi,

If your MacBook Pro has intel processor, resetting NVRAM could solve audio related issues.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply

Audio not working after updating MacBook Pro to 12.5 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.