You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal Line in bottom 50% of the screen (Macbook 2008 Late edition)

Hi,

I have macbook 2008 late edition. Today, suddenly one horizontal line started appearing on the screen's lower portion. Please check the image. This image persist throughout the boot sequence an even after that. I checked on google and came to know that it might be due to OVERHEATING.

It is the first macbook model and running El Capitan. ( 4GB TAM + 256 GB SSD). Due to old hardware n new OS, I know the macbook was under pressure. Also, I have attached laptop cooler and one usb mouse to macbook. But to my surprise, these connections were creating extra heat in macbook. I think this heat messed up my display.

I have tried SMC and NVRAM and SAFE mode. The horizontal line remains there.

If I take a screenshot of the screen, the line doesn't appear on it. But it is visible on my screen. (NOTE: I have added horizontal line on MS PAINT to just give you an idea about the issue. Is it a display / screen issue?

What is the issue and how to resolve it? My macbook is in excellent condition but this overheating issue is creating trouble.

PLEASE HELP !

Thanks in advance

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 4:08 PM

That is most likely an issue with the LCD Panel as @Thatstud suggested. It is unlikely to be a GPU issue.

Use @DeathStalker13's suggestion to use an external display (make sure to enable mirroring though), or you can take a screenshot using macOS. View the screenshot, but make sure to move or scroll the picture up/down slightly so that the screenshot does not overlay the line itself. You want to view that section of the screenshot at another higher or lower location on the screen or by viewing the screenshot using another device.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2022 4:08 PM in response to ssk_shamal

That is most likely an issue with the LCD Panel as @Thatstud suggested. It is unlikely to be a GPU issue.

Use @DeathStalker13's suggestion to use an external display (make sure to enable mirroring though), or you can take a screenshot using macOS. View the screenshot, but make sure to move or scroll the picture up/down slightly so that the screenshot does not overlay the line itself. You want to view that section of the screenshot at another higher or lower location on the screen or by viewing the screenshot using another device.

Jul 31, 2022 6:40 PM in response to ssk_shamal

I would also plug this up to an external display or TV if you can. If you see the line on the external display, the issue is with the GPU. If you don't see the line, the problem is with the MacBook screen.

With overheating, I'd say that a good clean with the fan and heatsink could help a lot. It shouldn't bee too difficult to get in and use some canned air on the fan blades (Do not let the air spin the fan) and blow out the heatsink fins.

Jul 31, 2022 9:17 PM in response to ssk_shamal

If the GPU is going bad, the only real option is a logic board replacement. The GPU is ball soldered on. Although if the line is due to the GPU die overheating, you might get a little more life by taking the heatsink off and replacing the thermal paste along with cleaning the dust out.

The screen isn't too bad to do, but it'll come down to getting a decent replacement. Don't try to get the LCD alone. Make sure it comes with the housing/webcam too.

Aug 10, 2022 8:27 PM in response to HWTech

ohh god..one small mistake n now I have to spend soon much money....can i attach a new monitor to it n use it as a desktop computer....

as it is so old laptop..now i don want to spend money on its screen....i would rather buy refurbished macbook on backmarket.com

what do u suggest.

Thank u for taking out time for providing me helpful answers

Horizontal Line in bottom 50% of the screen (Macbook 2008 Late edition)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.