You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel in status bar on iPhone constantly spins while on Home Screen, goes away when an app is opened

I have an iPhone SE (2nd Gen) and whenever I am on my Home Screen the spinning wheel in the upper corner appears and doesn’t go away until I open an app. I’ve tried all the quick fixes (toggling airplane mode, rebooting the device) but it always seems to come back eventually. What could be the cause of this?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 1:02 PM

Hello TheChadLemon,

We understand that you have concerns regarding the loading/syncing icon you are seeing on your iPhone. To make sure we've got it correct, take a look at the article below to review and confirm the icon you're seeing. The one we believe you mean is marked as "There's network activity".

Status icons and symbols on your iPhone - Apple Support

If this is correct, it could simply be that data is syncing across your network. Do you know of any features you have enabled that would automatically sync? Do you find this happens with a cellular or Wi-Fi connection?

Best regards.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2022 1:02 PM in response to TheChadLemon

Hello TheChadLemon,

We understand that you have concerns regarding the loading/syncing icon you are seeing on your iPhone. To make sure we've got it correct, take a look at the article below to review and confirm the icon you're seeing. The one we believe you mean is marked as "There's network activity".

Status icons and symbols on your iPhone - Apple Support

If this is correct, it could simply be that data is syncing across your network. Do you know of any features you have enabled that would automatically sync? Do you find this happens with a cellular or Wi-Fi connection?

Best regards.

Aug 8, 2022 7:28 AM in response to TheChadLemon

Hey there TheChadLemon, 

Do you happen to have any widgets on your Home screen? Some widgets may need an active data connection.

Use widgets on your iPhone and iPod touch   

It would also be a good idea to review the apps using your data to help determine which may be the cause, if not related to an active widget.

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad

Have a good one!

Aug 24, 2022 7:20 AM in response to TheChadLemon

Hi TheChadLemon, 

Is Background App Refresh on? Let's try temporarily turning it off if it's on. 

After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content. 
If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again.

The information above is from Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If the issue continues, let us know what you found out when you turned the feature off.

Best!

Aug 8, 2022 7:09 AM in response to Missy5937

Hi,

The icon is definitely the network activity symbol, but the thing about it is that it only appears when I return to the Home Screen, stays on as long as I’m there, and only goes away when I open an app or restart the phone. I’ve tried investigating what may be causing it and to my knowledge at this point there’s no features turned on that may be the culprit. It happens regardless of whether I’m on wifi or cellular.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2022 6:36 AM in response to TheChadLemon

Hello TheChadLemon,

We appreciate the follow up!

What version of iOS is currently installed on your iPhone? You can verify this information by going to Settings > General > About. The reason we want to check this is that often times network performance is improved by installing software updates.

Next, we would want to begin to isolate the issue. Does this always occur in one location such as your home, at work, or while on the go? The reason this is important is if it only happens in an area where the data connection is not as stable, we are more likely to see the device attempting to connect.

Best!

Spinning wheel in status bar on iPhone constantly spins while on Home Screen, goes away when an app is opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.