You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Share via AirDrop reliably without re-launching Finder

I often use AirDrop to share a very nearby iPhone 8 from my 2013 Macbook Pro but this works maybe 10% of the time UNLESS I quite and re-launch Finder. Getting annoying and wondering why. I sometimes stop/start Bluetooth on either device but this is hit or miss. What always works 98% of the time is to quit/re-launch Finder.

Any ideas what's causing this?

I've already tried creating a brand new profile and it occurs on the new User as well.

Usually it requires a reboot of the Macbook Pro to work, sometimes too, as I've seen it not appear on my list of Apple devices on an iPhone 12 Pro Max, until I do.

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 4:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 4:46 PM

SFSaxguy wrote:

I often use AirDrop to share a very nearby iPhone 8 from my 2013 Macbook Pro but this works maybe 10% of the time UNLESS I quite and re-launch Finder. Getting annoying and wondering why. I sometimes stop/start Bluetooth on either device but this is hit or miss. What always works 98% of the time is to quit/re-launch Finder.

I've already tried creating a brand new profile and it occurs on the new User as well.

Usually it requires a reboot of the Macbook Pro to work, sometimes too, as I've seen it not appear on my list of Apple devices on an iPhone 12 Pro Max, until I do.

Airdrop is finicky yes

Seem to work better if all macOS and iOS are up to date and compatible

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Update your iDevice - The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, is iOS 15.6

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

<UNLESS I quite and re-launch Finder>

you can relaunch the Finder on the fly— no quitting is required if that solves your problem

hold the Control Option keys and click open the Finder icon on the far left of the Dock>Relaunch

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 31, 2022 4:46 PM in response to SFSaxguy

SFSaxguy wrote:

Airdrop is finicky yes

Seem to work better if all macOS and iOS are up to date and compatible

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5

Update your iDevice - The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, is iOS 15.6

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

<UNLESS I quite and re-launch Finder>

you can relaunch the Finder on the fly— no quitting is required if that solves your problem

hold the Control Option keys and click open the Finder icon on the far left of the Dock>Relaunch

Aug 3, 2022 5:29 PM in response to SFSaxguy

SFSaxguy wrote:

• Hey thanks for that cool keyboard shortcut trick..

OK let me ask this then.....I currently have latest version of Big Sur on this 2013 mackbok pro and iPhone 12 ProMax is always kept up to date...... I have only ever upgraded going forward but would like to rebuild this laptop from scratch with the original MacOSX. Is there a source for the original binaries to do so?

I have all data stored offline and re-installing apps is not a problem as well.

I've done rebuild on Windows machines since 1995 but never on a macbook.

Can you offer that solution, please?

Source files for late 2013 macbook pro (or what ever is earliest offered software for this model)
• Steps to implement

ref original OS X 10.8 is Mountain Lion

Internet Recovery should have an option to erase and reinstall the original macOS

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

There are other options, download installler and create a Bootable USBinstaller

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS  installer backups on this server: 

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2022 3:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hey thanks for that cool keyboard shortcut trick..

OK let me ask this then.....I currently have latest version of Big Sur on this 2013 mackbok pro and iPhone 12 ProMax is always kept up to date...... I have only ever upgraded going forward but would like to rebuild this laptop from scratch with the original MacOSX. Is there a source for the original binaries to do so?

I have all data stored offline and re-installing apps is not a problem as well.

I've done rebuild on Windows machines since 1995 but never on a macbook.

Can you offer that solution, please?

• Source files for late 2013 macbook pro (or what ever is earliest offered software for this model)
  • Steps to implement

Can't Share via AirDrop reliably without re-launching Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.