You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter not working

I would like to connect a new MBP with Thunderbolt 4 to an old LaCie 2big Thunderbolt external RAID drive with Thunderbolt 1.

I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter with an Apple Thunderbolt 1 cable.

The drive tries to boot up, but stalls, fails, tries again, stalls, fails, and so on.

The drive doesn't appear in Disk Utility.

Is there anything I can do?

The drive and cable work fine with an old MBP with Thunderbolt 1.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 11:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 9:24 AM

The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not work with the 2m Apple Thunderbolt Cable, but does work with the 0.5m Apple Thunderbolt Cable.

It also works with a LaCie Rugged RAID, that has its own short Thunderbolt lead.

The mophie USB-C Cable with Mini DisplayPort Connector did not work. Whilst Thunderbolt 1/2 does use the Mini DisplayPort connector, it isn't the same.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2022 9:24 AM in response to David Hollis2

The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not work with the 2m Apple Thunderbolt Cable, but does work with the 0.5m Apple Thunderbolt Cable.

It also works with a LaCie Rugged RAID, that has its own short Thunderbolt lead.

The mophie USB-C Cable with Mini DisplayPort Connector did not work. Whilst Thunderbolt 1/2 does use the Mini DisplayPort connector, it isn't the same.

Aug 1, 2022 1:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It's absolutely fine. It provides a TimeMachine backup for an old MBP with Thunderbolt 1. Drive is fine, power is fine, cable is fine. Everything works fine.

BUT, connect the cable to an adapter and the new MBP, and it can't boot up.

I didn't know that such a cable existed. So Thunderbolt 1/2 is equivalent to USB 3 type B? I didn't know that. I'll try and find a cable. Thanks. A further reply might take a while!

Aug 1, 2022 4:28 PM in response to David Hollis2

do not buy that cable to connect to a disk drive:

mophie’s USB-C cable with Mini Display connector makes it a snap to connect your MacBook to an external display. Experience clear, blur-free video, as well as support for digital surround sound. With its sturdy, braided nylon construction and durable connectors, this cable stands up to everyday use so you can see a pixel-perfect image every time.

This data cable is what you need. Plug it into the Top connector on your drive:

Monoprice 2.0 USB-C to USB Type-B Printer Cable, 480 Mbps, 6.6ft, Black - Product # 33457 - $10.99

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.