You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add gmail account back to my IPad Pro

I was receiving an error that I needed to re-enter my password for my gmail account that was on my device when I was trying to check for email. I attempted to do so and it would not allow me to, “re-enter password” was was just greyed out. I deleted the email in an attempt to add it again and when I go to add the account the google page does not open once I select to add an account. I tried to click on yahoo and AOL as well and the screen did not pop up either. I do have the latest IOS. Please advise.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 5:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 6:53 AM

Google have changed their authentication requirements for Google Mail mail accounts configured for password authentication - and for non-Google mail clients, now requires use of an App Specific password for each mail client/device. 

You will need to generate a unique password for your iPad Gmail account - that will differ from your normal Google Account Password. AOL, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft now all use App Specific Passwords when using anything other than their own email client Apps.

If you need to generate an App Specific Password, you’ll need to log-in to your Google Account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page.

More information can be found here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2022 6:53 AM in response to Bluetooth1920

Google have changed their authentication requirements for Google Mail mail accounts configured for password authentication - and for non-Google mail clients, now requires use of an App Specific password for each mail client/device. 

You will need to generate a unique password for your iPad Gmail account - that will differ from your normal Google Account Password. AOL, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft now all use App Specific Passwords when using anything other than their own email client Apps.

If you need to generate an App Specific Password, you’ll need to log-in to your Google Account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page.

More information can be found here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Cannot add gmail account back to my IPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.