You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download software instruments

1. I picked up a new M1 MacBook Pro (Monterey 12.5) last week, opened up GarageBand (10.4.5).
  2. Opened the software instrument panel on the left, clicked to download several instruments. They started downloading.
  3. I was prompted by The Apple Music Content Installer to enter my username and password. I entered those.
  4. Got a pop-up: "GarageBand was not able to install the new sounds. Close and re-open GarageBand to download and install them again."
  5. When I quit, I get another prompt: "Are you sure you want to cancel the download?"
    1. If I hit Continue, I get the list of software instruments, some failed, some downloading, some idle.
      1. If I quit again I go back to #4 above
    2. If I hit cancel, the application quits.

Now whenever I open GarageBand, I'm in that loop. I can open an existing project or create a new one but I can't download new software instruments. The panel of downloading instruments is still there in the background but the downloads never finish; as soon as the meter on the first one completes, I get the prompt at #3 above and the cycle continues.

I know I'm entering the right password. Is this a known issue? Should I re-install Garageband?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:17 AM

You can try it in safe mode, that sometimes fixes weird things like this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Unable to download software instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.