You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space bar stops working, while Option space works???

While using apps (doesn't matter which app) on my Apple Silicon iMac. The space bar stops working. usually restarting the app or rebooting the iMac brings the functionality back, but this is very annoying.

Is there a better (I mean permanent) fix? Seems like an unwanted feature in Apple Silicon or is it the converter program in Apple Silicon?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 2:44 PM

Steve51K wrote:

While using apps (doesn't matter which app) on my Apple Silicon iMac. The space bar stops working. usually restarting the app or rebooting the iMac brings the functionality back, but this is very annoying.

Is there a better (I mean permanent) fix? Seems like an unwanted feature in Apple Silicon or is it the converter program in Apple Silicon?

seems more like a glitch—

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies. Log into Safeboot and test, this would tell you if it is third party interference

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Do have another external keyboard to test— this would be telling...

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2022 2:44 PM in response to Steve51K

Steve51K wrote:

seems more like a glitch—

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies. Log into Safeboot and test, this would tell you if it is third party interference

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Do have another external keyboard to test— this would be telling...

Space bar stops working, while Option space works???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.