You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play just one home movie on Monterey?

In apple TV in Monterey on an M1 macbook pro I have had to group my home movies into playlists as otherwise they are spread all over the libraries and genres. Then if I try to play just one of these in a playlist, at the end of the movie I get another apparently random movie starting from the same playlist without even a break! I just want to play the one movie and then have apple tv stop and wait for me to tell it what to do next. Is this at all possible? I don't find any "up next" list to cancel. Does it help if I make all my movies "watched"?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 4:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 9:49 AM

You should see a Home Videos category in the side bar of the TV app, if you had added any home videos to the library of the TV app.

Videos may be tagged as Home Video, but untagged videos would also be grouped as Home Videos.

You should see a Downloaded category in the side bar of the TV app, if there are local files in the library (home videos and other).

To add videos to the library of the TV app, use the menu (File﹥Import) or use drag-and-drop.

Videos in the Photos app are not automatically added to the TV app Library.

The side bar of the TV app may have some categories hidden. Use the Edit function to show|hide categories. The Edit ‘button’ is only visible when hovering over that area.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Bill Spears

You should see a Home Videos category in the side bar of the TV app, if you had added any home videos to the library of the TV app.

Videos may be tagged as Home Video, but untagged videos would also be grouped as Home Videos.

You should see a Downloaded category in the side bar of the TV app, if there are local files in the library (home videos and other).

To add videos to the library of the TV app, use the menu (File﹥Import) or use drag-and-drop.

Videos in the Photos app are not automatically added to the TV app Library.

The side bar of the TV app may have some categories hidden. Use the Edit function to show|hide categories. The Edit ‘button’ is only visible when hovering over that area.

Aug 6, 2022 5:23 AM in response to Bill Spears

If you're playing a playlist it will always continue to play items on the list.

Your home movies should appear under the Computers > Home Videos listing (if you have your computer connected).

You can change the metadata on your files; select the files that you wish (one or any number at a time), use Command-I, then go to Options and change the type to Home Video. I leave the genre (under details) blank but you need not.

Aug 6, 2022 7:54 AM in response to muguy

Thanks for that info (sad though it is). So putting the files in a playlist to group them wasn't a good solution. But I don't see on the sidebar the library "Home Videos". Just Recently Added, Movies, TV Shows, and 4K HDR. I have a lot of files under "Unknown Genre" that under Info have the option "Home Video" selected. They ought then to show up in a Library "Home Video", which would then perhaps solve my playback problem. Any idea how I can get that to show?

How to play just one home movie on Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.