You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone sync - the sync session failed to start

iPhone XS, fully up to date (iOS 15.6)

M1 Mac Studio, fully up to date (macOS 12.5)

I am trying to sync from the Mac to the iPhone but it sits on Step 1 : Waiting for sync to start then always ends with "The iPhone "' could not be synced because the sync session failed to start"

I have tried on cable - I have tried a normal Lightning cable in the hub on my keyboard, in the hub on my monitor, directly in the back of the Mac. I have tried a USB-C to Lightning cable directly in the Mac.

I don't believe it is a cable issue because I can transfer e.g., photos *from* the iPhone to the Photos app with no issue - there is some other issue syncing back.

I have tried on WiFi.

I have restarted the iPhone.

I have tried adjusting/reducing what is in scope for sync (at this point it is just Music and Photos).

I have tried creating the backup manually which succeeds. Then the number of steps reduces from 6 to 5, but it's still the same issue.

At this point it seems like there is some wider issue blocking it. What else can I try?

Thanks!

Mac Studio, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 3:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 3:51 AM

Restarted the Mac and now it works.

Similar questions

1 reply

iPhone sync - the sync session failed to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.